This application is quite a multipurpose for our day to day, and through its voice commands we can ask you questions and ask you a lot of things. Now the wizard has incorporated the driving mode, a tool that will be very useful in our travels. Although it was announced two years ago, this mode is beginning to reach all devices Android Stepwise. The Mountain View company’s goal is to replace Android Auto, an application that despite its great features, seems to have been left behind.
Basically, the driving mode of Google Assistant allows us to do all kinds of tasks while we navigate with Google maps. With this tool we can read and send messages, make calls and control music, among other options. All this and much more without having to leave the Maps navigation. All you have to do is open the application, say the appropriate commands and voila, we can now enjoy this service.
Requirements to be able to use this Google Assistant function
Although at first this mode was only available in the United States, there are already several countries that are receiving it. Of course, even if it reaches Spain and other European countries, the interface will be in English. In addition, some of the functions may not be available in all countries and languages, but the Californian company has announced that they will gradually expand this tool, as well as add other languages. In order to use it, our Android phone must meet the following requirements:
- Version of Android 9.0 or later
- 4 GB of RAM or more
- Portrait mode only
- What additional options, we can also activate the Wizard notifications to receive message alerts and grant permissions to access your contacts and be able to make calls and send messages to your contacts.
Differences with Android Auto
Android Auto has been deprecated, so Google decided to replace this app with the Google Assistant. For starters, this feature works with Google Maps. The browsing experience is practically the same as the previous one, but now there is a bar at the bottom of the screen where all the tools that we can use appear.
If you look at the bottom left, a new microphone icon with which we can order tasks of all kinds. On the right side, an application launcher is available. Here we can see the last application that we have used. In this launcher we can make calls, send messages or quickly select the music app or service that we want to use while driving. On the other hand, in the middle button we can directly access Maps.
How to activate driving mode in the Google Assistant
First of all, you should check if your phone has the latest version of the Android operating system to make sure it is already incorporated. To do this, you just have to go to the section of Software update in the Settings from your mobile. Once you have checked it, you must follow the following steps:
- On your device, open the Google Assistant. You can do it with the command “Hey Google”, «Ok Google» or by opening the Google application in the Settings from your phone.
- Once you’re inside, access the assistant’s settings.
- Then look for the section Transport.
- Once there, look for the option Driving mode.
- Activate the option by sliding the button to the right and voila, you already have it available.
As we said, you must bear in mind that this mode may not be available on all devices. If this is your case, you will have to wait a little longer, since as new updates of the assistant arrive, the rest of the users will be able to access it. If you are one of the lucky ones who already has it available, all you have to do to start using it is to open the Google Maps application. When you plan a route, driving mode will automatically be activated.
What tools are available
Once you have activated it, a toolbar will appear at the bottom of the screen, below the navigation controls. You can access three different icons, and they are the following:
- Microphone: you can activate it in two different ways. If you have activated «Ok Google»just say the voice command. The other way is by touching the icon on your phone screen, and then saying the command you want.
- Music: to access this, you must press the icon that appears on the lower right part from the screen. Google Maps will minimize and switch to the music app of your choice. You can choose between several like Spotify, Youtube music or the app Podcasts of Google.
- Applications: in this section we can access messaging or music applications, among others. If you start one of these apps, you can return to Google Maps by clicking on its icon on the assistant’s home screen.
Voice commands to use in driving mode
In the driving mode of the Google Assistant you can do a lot of tasks thanks to voice commands. We can call, answer calls and play music in a very simple way. To do this, all you have to do is say the commands “Ok Google”, “Hey Google” or touch the microphone icon. These are all the things you can do:
- Make a call: say the command “Call to” followed by the name of the contact you want to contact.
- Answer an incoming call: When you get a call, say “Yes” when Google Assistant asks if you want to answer.
- Send a text message: gave «Send a message to» followed by contact.
- Listen to the messages: If you receive messages from social networks or messaging apps, say «Read my messages».
- Play music: To make music easier, say «Play» followed by the artist, song, album or genre you want to listen to.