Most of the high-end mobiles available in Spain stand out for using Qualcomm Snapdragon processors. The chip company has stood out for years in being among the best in terms of performance, but also in innovation by incorporating the latest technologies in its chips.
The Snapdragon 888 was called to be one of the leaders of Android during this 2021, but it seems that it will not be the only high-end processor for this year. The company has just presented almost by surprise the new Snapdragon 870 5G, a cheaper processor than when you look at its characteristics more thoroughly, you wonder if it should be considered as a new processor.
Snapdragon 888 is official: Qualcomm’s most powerful processor for AndroidSnapdragon 888 has already been presented as the new high-end processor from Qualcomm, which stands out for its power and performance.
Qualcomm’s new processor is especially familiar to us
We are facing an unprecedented fact, and it is that since the launch of the 800 series, Qualcomm had never presented two chips in its highest range almost simultaneously (they usually present the new generation in December and months later a better polished version of this same chip).
This year they presented the Snapdragon 888, a prodigy at the level of technology that it seems that it will not arrive alone. The company has just introduced a more affordable chip, but still deserves to be considered in the high range, the Snapdragon 870 5G.
However, this new release is very confusing, and as we wrote the technical sheet (which you can see at the end of the article) it is a processor almost equivalent to the Snapdragon 865+ that was in the best phones last year.
Everything you saw on the Snapdragon 865+ remains almost unchanged: we have the same manufacturing process at 7 nanometers, the same Kryo 585 CPU architecture (with maximum frequency that improves to 3.2 GHz compared to the 3.1 GHz of the 865+), same Adreno 650 graphics, Spectra 480 image processor, Hexagon 698 AI processor and Snapdragon X55 5G modem.
There is an aspect in which the new 870 loses with respect to the 865+, and that is that the FastConnect 6800 system loses the Wi-Fi 6E support that if it had the FastConnect 6900 of the 865+, having to settle for Wi-Fi 6. This This cut, together with the use of technologies from last year, gives us a glimpse that it will be a high-end chip that takes advantage of already amortized technology to be available on mobiles that are in the range of 400 to 600 euros.
Features Snapdragon 870 5G
- Kryo Architecture 585.
- 8 cores.
- Maximum frequency: 3.2 GHz.
- 2750 MHz LPDDR5 support.
- 2133 MHz LPDDR4X support.
- Maximum capacity: 16 GB.
- Adreno 650.
- Vulkan 1.1, OpenGL ES 3.2 and OpenCL 2.0 FP support.
- HDR game.
- HDR video playback compatible with HDR10, HDR10 +, HLG and Dolby Vision.
- Hardware accelerated video decoding compatible with H.265 and VP9.
- Artificial intelligence:
- Qualcomm Hexagon 698.
- Qualcomm Sensing Hub.
- Qualcomm X55 5G modem.
- Bluetooth 5.2.
- Wi-Fi 6.
- Qualcomm Spectra 480.
- Dual 14 bit ISP.
- Capture up to 2 Gigapixels per second.
- Cameras support up to 200 Mpx.
- Video capture up to 8K at 30 images per second.
- Fast charge: Qualcomm Quickcharge 4+.
- Hexagon audio processing system.
- Qualcomm Aqstic:
- Compatible codec up to WCD9385.
- Compatible amplifier up to WSA8815.
- Secure payments unit.
- Support for Qualcomm 3D Sonic Sensor and 3D Sonic Max fingerprints.
- Biometric fingerprint, iris, voice and face scanner support.
- Systems on device: Qualcomm Mobile Security, Key Provisioning Security, Qualcomm Processor Security, Qualcomm Content Protection, Qualcomm Trusted Execution Environment, Camera Security, Crypto Engine, Malware Protection, Secure Boot, Secure Token.
- Location: GPS, Glonass, BeiDou, Galileo, QZSS, NavIC and SBAS.
- Manufacturing process in 7 nanometers.
The entry New Snapdragon 870 5G: what a mess of processors for the high-end appears first in The Free Android.