Among the multiple office automation tools offered by operating systems, Microsoft is still clearly ahead. Word, your word processor, is known all over the world and used for any kind of function. With simplicity as its flag, this tool finds its place in the academic, domestic and work environment. For example, if we have to do a report or a job, it is essential to include all the sources Y references detail. We can do the same in Word, where we will teach you the steps to follow to develop a good bibliography May it be of great use to you.
It is true that we can prepare our bibliography by hand. But if it is a very large document and full of sources, the task can be very tedious. In this case, Word offers us several tools that will allow us to enrich our font glossary with great ease. And not only that, we will not have to waste time shaping it and looking for a certain style. With this option of the processor, we will only have to worry about entering the text, since the format will be applied by default.
What is a bibliography
A bibliography is nothing more than a compilation of all the sources and references that we have used to document ourselves during the preparation of a work or report.
Mainly in the academic and work environment, it is important to detail the external sources at the end of the document, as well as in its development. This will allow the reader to delve deeper into the subject if they are interested, in addition, so we do not risk being accused of possible plagiarism. Likewise, it is a matter of justice simply to include those sources that have served as inspiration.
The use of quotes it is yet another utility that should accompany the bibliography. In this case, it is a question of reproducing a specific statement from a specific source. All short references that appear in the text must also be part of our bibliographic set.
With the popularization of the Internet, sources have also spread and, with it, the content of bibliographies. Now we even talk about webgraphics. The Word tool itself allows us to insert web addresses. However, this is still a popular bibliography that has expanded over time.
As we have pointed out, both the citations and the sources are closely related and must be present without excuse. With the Citations and Bibliography tool we will be able to shape our database including all the sources that we have used in our article or work. With this information stored, it will be much easier to enter citations and references later.
Access to the tool can be found at the top, in the task bar, in the section of References.
First of all, it is convenient that you are clear about the style that you are going to use for your quotes and sources. This will determine the format of the bibliography. When preparing and exposing scientific documents, regulations prevail APA. Meanwhile, in other areas the format is more established ISO-690 (electronic resources or numerical references). With either of the two styles you will be served, especially the APA if it is an academic work.
- So unfold the button Style and choose the desired format.
- Once we have done this, we are at the beginning of the section Citations and bibliography with Manage sources. This option will allow us to work more comfortably with the references that we are handling.
- We click on the button and a new window will pop up. In the center we click on New to generate a new bibliographic source.
- In the first drop-down you must select the type of font used. You will find the typical options for books, sections, magazine articles, newspapers, websites, minutes, reports … The template will change depending on the source.
- After choosing your font type, it’s time to fill in all the existing fields. You will get the basics by default. However, if you want to expand the data, at the bottom of the window there is the checkbox Show all fields bibliographic. Those that are recommended to fill will be marked in red. To fill in each part, you will see examples that will help you in case you have questions.
- With all the fields filled in, click on the button To accept to save the record.
Once done, the complete font will be added to the general list. Here, all the references that you enter throughout the text will be stored. Thus, you can also make use of it in other Word documents.
To facilitate organization, Word also has the current list. You can move the fonts that you want to use in that specific job. If you click on the button Copy, you will move a certain bibliographic source from the general list to the current one and vice versa. You can also Get rid of and Edit each reference.
In case you want to add a certain appointment that you have already saved, you just have to add the reference to the original.
- Again in the Citations and bibliography section of the References window, go to the button Insert Appointment.
- Now a list will be displayed with the references you have created. Click on it and it will appear in the part of the text you have selected.
- Below the Insert Appointment button there are two options if we click on the arrow. The option Add a new source allows us to directly add another reference to our list, as we have detailed in previous steps.
- Add new placeholder allows you to include a memory if, for example, you do not have the source data. You can consult them and, later, modify the source. Only one tag name will be required.
Edit the citations
From the document itself, you can even modify the content. To do this, click on the appointment with the right button and select Edit appointment. You can add the page or Delete author, year or title.
On the other hand, if you opt for Edit source, you will be redirected directly to the reference register created at the beginning.
Add all bibliography
As we have said, the Manage Fonts option is extremely useful. If we have used it, all the citations and references used will be stored in the general list or in the current list.
Before taking this step, make sure that all the references are well Scythian and, their parts, complete and detailed. If you want to make any last minute modifications, this is the time.
- Then right-click on the reference and select update fields.
- Make the necessary modifications and update the bibliography.
- Now, go back to the section of the toolbar and choose the format among those available.
- At the end of the document you will find all the complete and automatically generated bibliography.
The post Learn to easily add bibliography in Word appeared first on ADSLZone.