Alphabet, and by extension, Google, not only has a great presence and impact in Spain, but in the rest of the world. In recent years, the company has continued to grow with increasingly advanced products, but with major internal problems.
For more and more Alphabet workers, the situation is unsustainable and they want to make it change towards a more ethical path. In response, they have formed a coalition of employees called Alpha Global, a group that includes Alphabet employees from 10 different countries.
Alpha Global: Google Employees Who Pursue It To Be An Ethical Company
“Alphabet long ago lost its commitment to ‘Don’t be evil’ but we have not. Together, we will hold Alphabet accountable. Together, we will change Alphabet.
That’s how direct is the message of several messages from Alphabet, a company that brings together Google and other external bets. More and more workers seem to disagree with the direction the company is taking, and beyond leaving their job and going elsewhere they want to fight from within so that the course takes a more ethical path.
Together with the help of UNI Global they have created Alpha Global, a coalition of employees from Alphabet and Google who want to change the company. The reason that motivates these workers to fight from within is that they consider Alphabet to be one of the great architects of the modern world of work. Despite being one of the greatest cradles of innovation, they consider that the company is also a creator of inequalities, being implicated in sexual harassment and oppression of sexual minorities and people of color.
Pursuing a more democratic Alphabet seems like a complex task to carry out, but employees remember that they already forced Google in the past to create a series of principles for artificial intelligence, forcing it to eliminate forced arbitrariness on purpose to cover up sexual abuse and other abuse.
Among the goals of Alpha Global, the coalition is committed to all of this:
- Share information, build a common strategy and support other demands as well as our collective goals.
- Work side-by-side with other Alphabet and Google employees to build local organizations that reflect employee values and interests.
- Fight for the rights of direct Alphabet employees, as well as temporary workers, vendors and contractors.
- Use the collective voice to call on NGOs, governments, stakeholders and investors to insist and enforce the rights of Alphabet workers.
- Call on other unions to join forces and support the movement for Alphabet and other tech companies.
For our part, it seems like a great move within the company and we hope they can change the foundations of your company towards a much more ethical future.
The entry Internal revolution in Google: its employees want to recover ethics in the company appears first in The Free Android.