Problem: How to repair a new installed CPU, corrupt fTPM / PSP NV, or fTPM / PSP NV structure has changed?
Hi there. I don’t usually turn off my PC when I’m not on it. Once I returned, the screen was blank. I tried to turn on my PC but nothing happened, so I had to hard-reset it. As soon as it started to load, I got the error message ‘New CPU installed. fTPM NV corrupted or fTPM NV structure changed »on the blank screen. I pressed N to keep the previous configuration (which seemed logical to me), but Windows failed to start and I received the same error. Please help.
The corrupt or changed fTPM NV structure error usually affects Windows 10 desktops or laptops using TPM – Trusted Platform Module. TPM is a secure cryptoprocessor for the sole purpose of securing hardware. It is integrated with cryptographic keys that can be used to encrypt anything from installing new programs, changing parameters in your BIOS / UEFI or even logging into your Windows systems.
There are several types of TPM implementations, including Discrete (dTPM), Software (sTPM) Integrated (iTPM), Hypervisor (hTPM), and Firmware (fTPM), which seems to be the problem here. Firmware TPM (commonly used by AMD, Intel, and Qualcomm) runs the CPU environment and is only software-based.
The problem seems to be occurring out of nowhere – users reported that they simply left their computers for some time, and after that they came back and saw the screen with the fTPM NV error. The full error message says the following:
New CPU installed. fTPM NV corrupted or fTPM NV structure changed.
Press Y to reset fTPM. If you have Bitlocker or encryption enabled, the system will not boot without a recovery key.
Press N to keep previous fTPM record and continue system boot. fTPM will not enable in new CPU, you can swap back to the old CPU to recover TPM related keys and data
In most cases, users choose option N, especially if they have received the error unexpectedly. Once the upload sequence continues, they are prompted to enter their PIN and this is where the problem reappears. As soon as the device is rebooted, users see the same error and are not able to continue using their computers normally.
In other cases, users enabled the fTPM feature through BIOS to run Windows 11. In this scenario, they are able to start Windows after pressing any button, although the message reappears every time they load their device – this is because the BIOS sees that there is a new CPU each time the PC is started.
In both cases, it is possible to fix the problem. If you keep getting these problems with your Windows device, we recommend that you try running the PC repair tool ReimageMac Washing Machine X9as it is capable of remediating corrupted registries, removing malware, and replacing corrupted system files with new ones.
1. Check if you are using BitLocker
BitLocker is a built-in Windows feature that enables users to encrypt their data and protect it from unauthorized access. You should first check if you have this feature enabled in the system:
If you can’t start Windows:
In order to access Windows, simply press N on the error screen.
- Writes cmd in Windows search
- Right click on the Symbol of the system and select Execute as an administrator
- When the user control window appears, click Yes
- Once you are in the new window, paste the following command:
- Press Enter
- Check the Conversion Status and the Percentage of lines encrypted – these should give you clues if you are using BitLocker.
If you can’t start Windows:
- Reboot your computer and interrupt the boot sequence three times pressing and holding the button switched on every time
- Once you are in the mode Advanced Startgo to Troubleshooter> Advanced Options
- Choose Symbol of the system
- Now run the command manage-bde -status through the Command Prompt.
If your system it is not encrypted, you can restart it pressing Y. If your system was encrypted, proceed to the next step:
2. Get your BitLocker key
If your system was using BitLocker, you may need a recovery key. The easiest way to obtain it is by accessing your Microsoft account> BitLocker Recovery Key on your computer that works.
If this option is not available to you, you can also try using the following methods:
- Find the .txt file on your computer (it was created when you were setting up encryption) – find the file BitLocker Recovery Key.txt on your PC.
- One of the impressions was saved by BitLocker was activated
- If you used the computer to log into your work or university account through the Azure Active Directory, the key can be found in the Azure AD account.
3. Disable fTPM function through BIOS
If you can’t log into Windows but still get the message, you can try turning off the fTPM feature through the BIOS.
- Access the BIOS pressing the keys F8, F10, F12, Del, Esc or another button when the system is booting (see your computer’s motherboard for more precise instructions)
- Once inside, go to the section Advanced Configuration / CPU Configuration
- Look for sections like Device Security Support or just fTPM
- Make sure the option is off and reboot the PC.
Fix your Errors automatically
The pcseguro.es team is trying to do everything possible to help users find the best solutions to eliminate their errors. If you don’t want to bother with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic programs. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. The tools you can use to fix your error are listed below.
To remain completely anonymous and prevent ISP and government from spying on you, you should use Private Internet Access VPN. It will allow you to connect to the internet being completely anonymous, encrypting all the information, preventing trackers, advertisements, as well as malicious content. Most importantly, you will stop illegal activities that the NSA and other government institutions carry out without your consent.
Unforeseen circumstances can occur at any time while you are using your computer: it could be due to a power outage, a blue screen of death (BSoD) or because random Windows updates can restart your computer when you are away for a few minutes. As a result, school work, your important documents and other data can be lost. To get back your lost files, you can use Data Recovery Pro – it searches through the copies of the files that are still available on your hard drive and recovers them easily.