Problem: How to fix Windows 10 update error code 0x800f0831?
Hi there. For the last few months, Windows 10 tries to install the latest updates but it always fails with error code 0x800f0831. I am currently running 1903. Is there anything I can do to fix this? I’m really frustrated, please help.
Error code 0x800f0831 is a bug check that people may encounter while using the Windows Update service. In fact, it is not pleasant to see this sequence of characters, as it means that something is wrong, except that no Windows update that you try to install will be installed successfully.
Other than 0x800f0831, there are hundreds of Windows Update errors (for example 0x80070103, 0x80073712, or 0x80070541), but most of them can be solved with great ease. Usually when they come across the Windows Store cache, an inaccessible Windows Update service, an anti-virus program, or some corrupted update files.
In most cases, Microsoft reacts to people’s reports related to the Windows Update service that closes immediately both by automatically fixing the problem and with manual help explaining how to deal with the problems.
However, there is no official solution to error 0x800f0831, so we will try to help you. Having the latest updates installed is very important to maintain system performance and security. If every attempt to install Windows updates ends with an error like the one mentioned, try the following steps first:
- Restart your PC in normal mode.
- Disable your anti-virus temporarily.
- Check your Internet connection (runs a speed test).
- Check your settings Date and Time.
- Install ReimageMac Washing Machine X9 and run a full check with it.
If none of these methods have helped you, please take a look at the solutions below.
Method 1. Download a pending KB package
In most cases, the main reason error 0x800f0831 occurs is due to a missing KP package, which does not allow you to install new updates. Therefore, you should check which package you are missing and download it manually from the Windows Update Catalog:
- Press the keys Windows + E to open File Explorer.
- Navigate to the following location: C: \ Windows \ Logs \ CBS.
- Here, open the file CBS.log and double click on it.
- Here, look for lines that include error 0x800f0831 or that include the following information (use Ctrl + F to search for specific words:
Store corruption, manifest missing for package: [Missing_Package]
- Write the KB number next to one of the lines.
- Now visit the Web page of the Windows Update Catalog to download and install the pending package.
- Reboot your PC and then try to run Windows updates as usual.
Method 2. Run the Windows Update troubleshooter
Whenever you run into problems with Windows Update, you should first try to run the Windows troubleshooter available through the settings panel:
- Right click on Beginning and then choose Setting.
- In the new window, select the section Updates and Security.
- On the left, choose Problem solver and then choose Additional Troubleshooters on the right.
- Find Windows update, click on it and then select Run the troubleshooter.
Method 3. Run SFC and DISM checks
In case the Windows system files are corrupted, you can run the commands through the Command Prompt to fix them, consequently allowing you to run a simple fix for 0x800f0831.
- Writes cmd in Windows search
- Right click on the result of the Symbol of the system and choose Execute as an administrator
- Copy and paste the following command:
sfc / scannow
- Press Enter and wait for the process to finish.
- Once done, run the following commands, pressing Enter after each of them:
DISM / Online / Cleanup-Image / CheckHealth
DISM / Online / Cleanup-Image / ScanHealth
DISM / Online / Cleanup-Image / RestoreHealth
- Once completed, reboot Windows.
Method 3. Restart Windows Update Components
- Open the Command Prompt as administrator as we have explained before.
- Paralyze services BITS, Windows Update, Cryptographic, and MSI Installer. To do this, type the following commands and press Enter after each of them:
net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
net stop appidsvc
net stop cryptsvc
- Once done, paste the command From “% ALLUSERSPROFILE% \ Application Data \ Microsoft \ Network \ Downloader \ qmgr * .dat” to delete the files qmgr * .dat.
- Then copy and paste the command cd / d% windir% \ system32 and press Enter.
- To reregister BITS and Windows Update files, write all the comments listed below and hit Enter after each of them:
- For To reset Winsock, write the commands netsh winsock reset and netsh winhttp reset proxy. Press Enter after each of them as always.
- Finally, restart the services BITS, Windows Update, Cryptographic, MSI Installer inserting the following commands followed by Enter:
net start bits
net start wuauserv
net start appidsvc
net start cryptsvc
Method 5. Disable Proxy
- Click Win key + R, type inetcpl.cpl, and press Enter.
- Select Connections and then open LAN Settings.
- Find Automatically detect settings box and mark it with a tick.
- Finally, uncheck the box Proxy server.
These are methods that have helped most Windows users who have been having trouble with Windows Update installations. If they have not worked for you, we would like to recommend that you check if the Date and Time settings are correct. Sometimes a misconfiguration of these settings can collide with some Windows Update and Windows Store services which can lead to failure to download and install updates.
Fix your Errors automatically
The pcseguro.es team is trying to do everything possible to help users find the best solutions to eliminate their errors. If you don’t want to bother with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic programs. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. The tools you can use to fix your error are listed below.
To remain completely anonymous and prevent ISP and government from spying on you, you should use Private Internet Access VPN. It will allow you to connect to the internet being completely anonymous, encrypting all the information, preventing trackers, advertisements, as well as malicious content. Most importantly, you will stop illegal activities that the NSA and other government institutions carry out without your consent.
Unforeseen circumstances can occur at any time while you are using your computer: it could be due to a power outage, a blue screen of death (BSoD) or because random Windows updates can restart your computer when you are away for a few minutes. As a result, school work, your important documents and other data can be lost. To get back your lost files, you can use Data Recovery Pro – it searches through the copies of the files that are still available on your hard drive and recovers them easily.