Problem: How to fix “Installation is prohibited by system policy” error?
Hello. I recently tried to install my Intel Wireless Adapters from the official Intel site and it failed with the error ‘This installation is prohibited by system policy. Contact your administrator ». I have not changed anything in my PC settings since I installed Windows, although I have recently modified the router. What’s going on?
Device drivers are one of the most important components of the Windows operating system, allowing software and hardware to communicate properly. Although some devices, such as dedicated graphics cards, can function minimally without them, the absence of drivers can prevent the hardware from functioning.
Since we are talking about res adapters here, the error “This installation is prohibited by System policy” should prevent major functions on this device, including WiFi, as well as Bluetooth connections. Certainly if no ethernet is available to replace the WiFi connection, this can become a bigger problem, as the internet connection would not be accessible.
The error “This installation is prohibited by System policy” can occur not only when installing wireless drivers. Users have said that they have received the same error when they have installed Autocad (Error code 1625, 509), Python (0x80070659), mouse drivers (G500), and other softwares.
As the error message itself suggests, the reason why it occurs is not having sufficient rights to install new software, regardless of whether they are drivers or applications. Although it may seem that running the installer with administrator rights may be sufficient, this is usually not the case here (although you should definitely try the first solution), so other permissions in the settings need to be altered.
There are several different ways to modify permissions on a Windows computer – most users are not aware of these policies, as they rarely need to use them (as the default settings usually work quite well). Below you will find several ways to solve the error “This installation is prohibited by System policy”, which should allow you to install the software in question.
Before we start, we highly recommend that you check the device with a powerful system repair tool like ReimageMac Washing Machine X9. If the error is caused by a layer of operating system problems, such as file corruption, it can be fixed in a few minutes automatically.
Solution 1. Try to automatically update the drivers
If you have received an error when trying to install drivers manually, we recommend that you use an automatic solution – our suggestion is DriverFix. This driver updater can backup all existing drivers and install the correct ones automatically. After employing this tool, you will never be bothered with driver update processes again and it will get rid of all incompatibility issues or problems that may cause corrupted drivers such as BSODs, errors, unexpected shutdowns, etc.
Solution 2. Edit Local Group Policy
One of the easiest ways to modify the permissions on your Windows is to edit the Group Policy. Here’s how you can:
- Write gpedit.msc in Windows search and press Enter
- Once the Group Policy, navigate to the following location:
Computer Local Policy> Computer Configuration> Administrative Templates> Windows Components> Windows Installer.
- In the left part of the window, double click on the entry Prohibit non-administrators from applying vendor-signed updates
- In the new window, select Disabled
- Click on Apply and then in To accept.
Note: Make sure you are logged in as an administrator so that these and the rest of the policies can be modified without problems.
Solution 3. Check Local Security settings
Solution 4. Enable the Windows Installer service
- Write services.msc in Windows search or in the dialog Run (keys Win + R) and press Enter
- In the Services window, scroll until you see the service Windows Installer
- Right click on it and select Start
- Close Services and see if this has helped you eliminate the error “This installation is prohibited by system policy.”
Solution 5. Change BIOS settings
This method has helped users who were unable to install network drivers due to the error. To do this, you need to access your BIOS:
- Reboot your computer
- Before watching the startup animation, press repeatedly F2, F8, Del, Esc or another key (depending on your motherboard manufacturer) on your keyboard
- Once you are in the BIOS, you will have to modify the Wireless Network settings
- Go to Wireless switch Y removes the WLAN and Bluetooth option boxes
- Go to Wireless Device Enable and press Wlan Y Bluetooth to enable them
- Reboot your pc
Solution 6. Change the Windows registry
Alert: you should always make a backup copy of your registry before modifying any parameter within it, otherwise, incorrectly modifying the registry can cause system instability and even crash.
- Write regedit.msc in Windows search or in the Run dialog and hit Enter
- When the User Account Control, click on Yes
- Go to the following location:
HKLM \ Software \ Policies \ Microsoft \ Windows \ Installer
- If you can’t see the entrance DisableMSI on the right, proceed with the following:
- Right click in the blank space on the right of the window and select New> DWORD (32-bit) Value
- Name it DisableMSI and double click on it
- Set the Value to 0 and click on To accept
- Close the Registry Editor and see if this solution has worked for you.
Fix your Errors automatically
The pcseguro.es team is trying to do everything possible to help users find the best solutions to eliminate their errors. If you don’t want to bother with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic programs. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. The tools you can use to fix your error are listed below.
To remain completely anonymous and prevent ISP and government from spying on you, you should use Private Internet Access VPN. It will allow you to connect to the internet being completely anonymous, encrypting all the information, preventing trackers, advertisements, as well as malicious content. Most importantly, you will stop illegal activities that the NSA and other government institutions carry out without your consent.
Unforeseen circumstances can occur at any time while you are using your computer: it could be due to a power outage, a blue screen of death (BSoD) or because random Windows updates can restart your computer when you are away for a few minutes. As a result, school work, your important documents and other data can be lost. To get back your lost files, you can use Data Recovery Pro – it searches through the copies of the files that are still available on your hard drive and recovers them easily.