Problem: How to fix “System Error 5. Access Denied” in Windows?
I have tried to run the Net View command in the Command Prompt but the commands did not execute correctly. I get the error “System Error 5. Access Denied.” What does this mean and what should I do to fix it? I am using Windows 10.
If you run commands through the Command Prompt on your computer, a system error such as “System Error 5. Access Denied” should not occur initially. Unfortunately, practice shows that it appears from time to time to users while executing commands without administrator privileges. Initially, it just means that you can’t run the command because you don’t have administrator permissions.
“System Error 5. Access Denied” is a relatively old problem that has been present since the release of Windows 7. However, user reports on Microsoft’s official website indicate the fact that the problem has not been resolved and is still present in Windows 8, 8.1, and 10.
In general, as soon as you run the commands through the Command Prompt, regardless of the version of the operating system, you may receive the error. It is also important to mention that there is another error of a similar nature (Error 5: Access Denied), although it occurs under different circumstances.
The error can be related to many different commands (for example, Net View or Net Time). In general, Command Prompt error 5 appears when the user tries to run more advanced commands. There are particular occasions when these errors occur and some of them may be related to incorrect settings of the PC configuration:
- Time synchronization problems. If the time on your device is incorrectly set, problems like this may appear. To solve this particular problem, you need to enable the time synchronization function on the PC and make sure that the time zone of your region is being used first.
- The account is disabled. You may be trying to use a disabled account or one that does not exist in the domain. In this situation, you can try to ensure that the account is enabled on the domain and exists if you try to use it. You can use the Netdom command line utility on the PC for this.
- Permissions to access the remote computer are missing. Before trying to remotely access the computer, you should make sure that you have all the required permissions. If some of these permissions are missing, an error of any kind may appear. System error 5 is one of them. It is simply solvable, all you need are the required permissions of the remote computer.
However, in most cases, “System Error 5. Access Denied” appears due to lack of administrative privileges. Even if the PC user is logged into the system as an administrator, the Command Prompt may deny access if you don’t run it as an administrator.
How to fix “System Error 5. Access Denied”
As for “System Error 5. Access Denied” solutions, you should optimize your PC. In this regard, particular programs can help you immediately if particular files get corrupted or malware affects the computer and has caused a problem with the Command Prompt.
To check the registry, system files, malware, missing files, cache, and other issues, we would like to recommend that you do a check with ReimageMac Washing Machine X9. This tool can find bogus components in the computer system, worry about outdated registry entries, which can increase the working speed of your computer.
Open Command Prompt and run it as administrator
Therefore, to solve “System Error 5. Access Denied” in Windows 7, 8, 10 or another version, you should open the Command Prompt with administrative privileges. To do this, you should:
- Open the start menu, write cmd and press Enter.
- Right click in the search results, and select Execute as an administrator.
- If user account control opens, click To accept to confirm.
Windows 8, 8.1 or 10:
- Press the keys Windows + X to open the drop-down menu.
- Choose Command Prompt (administrator).
- Alternatively, you can click on the Windows key and write cmd.
- Right click on search results.
- Choose Execute as an administrator.
- If user account control appears, click To accept to confirm.
Modify Windows Registry Editor entries
If running Command Prompt with administrative privileges has not given you good results, please try the following steps and the error may disappear:
- Opens Start Y type regedit and press Entityr.
- Use the left panel and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Services \ LanmanServer \ Parameters key.
- Click on the menu Edit and select Add Value.
- Write the name of the value as MinFreeConnections.
- Then select Add -> New -> REG_DWORD.
- Set the value of the new key to 5 and close the Registry Editor.
- After this, do right click on the Windows key and select Control Panel.
- Choose Network and Internet and locate Installed Network Programs.
- Under Installed Network Programsgo to Server and select Set up.
- Locate Optimization and select Maximize performance for file sharing under the.
- Click on To accept.
- After this, open Start.
- Write cmd, do right click and select Execute as an administrator.
- Write net stop server Y net start server.
- Press Enter after each of them.
- Go to the following path:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Office \ FrontPage \ Addins \
- Remove the name of the FPE.com.AddIn entry by doing right click on the key and select Get rid of.
- As soon as it is eliminated, Reboot your computer and see if the error still occurs.
Fix your Errors automatically
The pcseguro.es team is trying to do everything possible to help users find the best solutions to eliminate their errors. If you don’t want to bother with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic programs. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. The tools you can use to fix your error are listed below.
To remain completely anonymous and prevent ISP and government from spying on you, you should use Private Internet Access VPN. It will allow you to connect to the internet being completely anonymous, encrypting all the information, preventing trackers, advertisements, as well as malicious content. Most importantly, you will stop illegal activities that the NSA and other government institutions carry out without your consent.
Unforeseen circumstances can occur at any time while you are using your computer: it could be due to a power outage, a blue screen of death (BSoD) or random Windows updates that may restart your computer when you are away for a few minutes. As a result, school work, your important documents and other data can be lost. To get back your lost files, you can use Data Recovery Pro – it searches through the copies of the files that are still available on your hard drive and recovers them easily.