These IVs are responsible for our Pokémon reach their maximum level and thus get the best possible creatures. The better these statistics are, the stronger they will be and the more likely we will be successful when we enter raids, gym battles and research tasks. First of all, we must know what they are and how we can calculate them.
What are IVs in Pokemon and how are they calculated
In Pokémon GO, IVs are short for «Individual Values», which in Spanish translates as “Individual values”. These are statistics that are randomly generated when we hatch an egg or catch a Pokémon. They are divided into three: attack, defense and health. The first two do not appear in the statistics of each creature, unlike health, which is the green bar that appears below the name.
Each of them reflects the attributes of your Pokémon. In other games in this universe, other parameters appear such as special attack, speed, special defense … But in Pokémon GO, everything appears more simplified. These values determine what can be the maximum or potential level that each creature can reach, that is, if it can be more or less powerful.
These values carry more weight than the CP or combat points, which measure the combat strength of each Pokémon. These can be improved through stardust Y candies, and we can upload them to our liking easily. This is the opposite of IVs, since as we have said, they are random values and cannot be improved. These should be as perfect as possible and close to 100% to get us the strongest creatures in the long run. This means that if we have two Pokémon, one with 1500 CP and the other with 800 CP, but the one with 800 has better IVs, it will be able to reach a higher potential and, therefore, it will be stronger.
Thanks to the IVs, we will be able to know if we are facing a Pokémon perfect. The degree of perfection is measured by calculating each value separately, which can range from 0 to 15. Therefore, each creature can have a minimum of 0 and a maximum of 45 of these individual values. Once we know them, we must calculate the percentage of perfection, and thus we will know if we are facing a powerful Pokémon or another that we can send to the teacher.
To calculate the IVs, all we have to do is open the Pokédex and choose a random Pokémon. Then we must open the options menu and click on Assess. The leader or judge of your team will evaluate the values of your Pokemon through different comments, which will vary if they are of higher or lower level each. The valuation of each attribute is measured in stars. These are the possible statistics that each creature can display:
- If it doesn’t appear none Star, your Pokémon will have 0 to 22 total IVs with a rating between 0 and 48.9%.
- With a star, from 23 to 29 IVs and valuation between 51.1 and 64.4%.
- Two stars, from 30 to 36 IVs and valuation between 66.7 and 80%.
- Three stars, from 37 to 44 IVs and valuation between 82.2 and 97.8%.
- Three stars and the background Rosa will have 45 total IVs and a 100% rating. This means that your Pokémon will have 15 attack, 15 defense and 15 health, achieving a maximum degree of perfection.
Given the appearance of applications that emerged to calculate IVs, the game decided to improve this section to offer more efficient information. Once we have finished evaluating our Pokémon, we can slide our finger to the right or to the left now to check the IVs of our other creatures. On the other hand, if you have two of the same and you want to check which one has better values, you just have to sort them by type and the first one that appears in the list will be the one with the best values.
Tips for raising the individual values of your Pokémon
- The chances of catching a Pokémon with perfect IVs are 1 in 4,096 or 0.0244%. Therefore, the ideal is to capture as many of them as possible to be successful. The weather it is a factor that can increase the chances of finding a creature of a certain type. For example, if it’s raining, the chances of finding a perfect Water-type Pokémon are 1 in 1,728, although that’s still a pretty low stat.
- Get hold of Shadow Pokémon. These creatures were brought in by Team Rocket GO, and they are basically surrounded by a dark aura and have red eyes. You should not be alarmed, as they have an advantage: these are more likely to have perfect statistics. You can return them to their original form through purification, and each IV will rise by two points. This means that if you find one with an individual value of 13 in each attribute, by purifying it you will get a perfect Pokémon.
- Hatch as many eggs as you can. Pokémon hatched from eggs will have a minimum of 10 IVs in each attribute, so you will have a good chance of obtaining a strong Pokémon. These can be obtained in raids, completing research tasks or obtain them in missions. The probability that you are perfect is 1 in 216.
- Lucky pokemon. These are surrounded by a special shine. It’s easier to level them up, as Stardust costs 50% less than a normal one. IVs are usually in fairly high ranges, so the likelihood of them being perfect is greatly increased. Even if you evolve it, it will continue to have this feature. If you manage to get hold of one, there will be a 1 in 64 chance that it will have max IVs.
- Exchange Pokémon with your friends. As in the previous case, you also have a 1 in 64 chance that they have perfect individual values. It is a good way to get really strong creatures, although it is much more difficult for this situation to occur. You must pay attention to creatures that are already strong, and this way you will have a better chance of increasing their statistics. To do this, you must have a high level of friendship.