If you want to connect your phone to a desktop computer, Android makes things very easy for you. It supports a multitude of protocols and enables the device to be used as an external storage, music controller or digital camera. In this article we go over all the connection methods you can use to link your computer with Android quickly.
The simplest way to connect a Windows or MacOS Android phone is using a cable. Most of the devices marketed today have a USB-C port which is usually used to load the terminal. Older devices, on the other hand, include a micro USB connector. Before starting a connection, verify that you have the correct cable.
Once you have connected your mobile with your computer, slide the notification curtain and click on the notification sent by Android System.
Thanks to it, you will access the connection protocol selector and you can select the method that is necessary in each case.
Available connection methods
- File transfer. By selecting this option, your computer will be able to access the file system of your mobile. It is the most used option and it is the one that allows you to quickly transfer photos, music or any other document.
- USB tethering. Choose this protocol if you want your phone to act as a modem. When you connect it this way, your PC will have an Internet connection thanks to your phone’s mobile data connection.
- MIDI. Lets turn your device into a musical controller. Use it if you want to play virtual musical instruments. Remember that you will need additional software to do it.
- PTP. This option turns your mobile into a digital camera. Thus, when establishing the connection, your device will identify it as such and allow you to easily import your photos and videos.
- No data transfer. This connection method makes the phone undetectable. In this way, the only thing the computer will do is use its own energy to charge the device.
All these methods do not require the installation of drivers or other tools, neither on the computer nor on the phone. However, some manufacturers make available to users official applications to manage device content. For example, Huawei develops HiSuite, Samsung does the same with SideSync and Xiaomi has Mi PC Suite. The respective official connection applications can help you carry out more concrete actions.
ADB and Fastboot connections
ABD and Fastboot is a suitable connection method for developers. Thanks to it, you can transfer files, install applications or manage other aspects of the device using the system console. To establish an ADB connection between your computer and your phone, the first thing you must do is activate the developer options. To do this, open the Android settings and access the section About phone. So, locate the button Build number and quickly press several times until the developer options are activated.
Enable developer options
Without leaving the settings, open the section System and click on Developer options.
See developer options
Finally, enable the option USB Debugging.
Enable USB debugging
Now your phone is ready to establish ADB and Fastboot connections. On your computer you will need to do the following:
- Download and install the specific drivers for your phone.
- Download and install Minimal ADB and Fastboot.
What if you don’t have a cable? By using some applications, you can wirelessly connect your phone to the computer. For example, you can use AirDroid to access your contacts, send SMS, transfer files, create folders, view the screen of your phone on the computer and interact with it or access the camera.
For Airdroid to establish a connection successfully, you must install the application on your PC and on your Android. After a very simple pairing process, both devices will be connected without using a cable. Remember that you must connect them to the same Wifi network. Otherwise, the connection will not work. Airdroid is available for Windows, MacOS and any other operating system thanks to web access.