Problem: [Solucionado] Unable to shrink a volume beyond the point where the immovable files are
I have a fairly large hard drive (2TB) that I would like to divide into separate volumes. However, every time I try, I get an error saying that the disk cannot be shrunk to the point where the immovable files are located. What does this mean? Any help is appreciated.
There are two primary types of hardware that users use to store their data – Hard Drives (HDD) and Solid State Drives (SSDs). Today, having several terabytes of space within storage drives is not uncommon (although SSDs generally provide less space in the same range as their counterparts), and there are several reasons why users should want to partition their drives. in smaller volumes.
The process can be easily completed with the help of Windows’ built-in Disk Management tool – it’s easy to use and doesn’t cause people trouble while using it. Problems appear when users try to partition the volume where they have the Windows operating system installed – they get the error “You cannot partition the volume beyond the point where the immovable files are located”.
Some users reported that they were unable to partition the volume, even though they have space available for it. Others said they were able to reduce the size by a certain margin, which was larger than the available disk space. The full message was available to view through the Event Viewer:
You cannot shrink a volume beyond the point where any unmovable files are located. See the “Defrag” events in the application log for detailed information about the operation when it has completed
The reason some users experience this problem is that certain Windows components are hidden and require extra space that are not initially visible. Therefore, in order to fix the error “You cannot partition the volume beyond the point where the immovable files are located”, you might have to temporarily disable those components – which include:
- Paging file
- System Protection
Below you will find the steps that should help you disable these components and then re-enable them once the operation is completed successfully. In some cases, there may be non-existent problems that can cause various errors. If you are having continuous problems with your Windows computer on a daily basis, we recommend that you try an automatic repair tool ReimageMac Washing Machine X9.
Step 1. Make sure you can see the hidden files
In order to be successful, you need to interact with the initially hidden files. You can make these files visible through File Explorer:
- Press the keys Windows + E on your keyboard to open File Explorer.
- Go to the tab View.
- Then click on the box Show hidden items.
- Then click Options> Change folder and search options.
- Go to the tab View and uncheck the option Hide files protected by the operating system (Recommended).
- Click on To accept.
Step 2. Disable Hibernation
In order to disable this component, you will have to use an elevated Command Prompt command.
- Writes cmd in Windows search and press Enter
- When the User Account Control, click on Yes
- In the new window, type the following command:
powercfg.exe / hibernate off
- Press Enter and close the Command Prompt.
Step 3. Disable System protection
- Writes Control Panel in Windows search and press Enter.
- Check in the upper right corner of the window – you should see View By: Category here
- Click on Category and select Small icons
- Choose System
- In the new window, swipe until you see System Protection – click on it
- Low Protection settings, select your hard drive and click Set up.
- Choose Disable system protection and click on Apply, Then in To accept.
Step 4. Disable the paging file
- Writes systempropertiesadvanced.exe in the Windows search bar and press Enter
- Go to the tab Advanced
- Low Performance, click on Setting
- Go to the tab Advanced and click on Change low Virtual memory
- Uncheck the box Automatically manage paging file size for all disks
- Select your main disk
- Check the option of No paging file and click on Set up
- Click on To accept.
Once these steps have been completed, you should restart your pc.
Step 5. Defragment [opcional]
If you end up seeing a “No disk space available to complete this operation” error when you try to reconfigure the partition, you should defragment your hard drive. Here’s how you can do it:
- Writes defrag in Windows search
- Choose Disk Defragmentation and Optimization
- Select your main disk and click Optimize
- This may take some time
- Reboot your pc.
Finally, you can divide the size of the volume without experiencing the error “You cannot divide the volume beyond the point where the immovable files are located”. Once you have partitioned the disk, you should re-enable Hibernation, System Protection, and Paging file.
Fix your Errors automatically
The pcseguro.es team is trying to do everything possible to help users find the best solutions to eliminate their errors. If you don’t want to bother with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic programs. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. The tools you can use to fix your error are listed below.
To remain completely anonymous and prevent ISP and government from spying on you, you should use Private Internet Access VPN. It will allow you to connect to the internet being completely anonymous, encrypting all the information, preventing trackers, advertisements, as well as malicious content. Most importantly, you will stop illegal activities that the NSA and other government institutions carry out without your consent.
Unforeseen circumstances can occur at any time while you are using your computer: it could be due to a power outage, a blue screen of death (BSoD) or because random Windows updates can restart your computer when you are away for a few minutes. As a result, school work, your important documents and other data can be lost. To get back your lost files, you can use Data Recovery Pro – it searches through the copies of the files that are still available on your hard drive and recovers them easily.