When we talk about web browsers, the vast majority of users will come to mind Google Chrome, since it is the most popular in the world, but when we talk about office suite, without a doubt, Microsoft Office is the most popular. Well, today we are going to tell you how you can do so that the documents of the suite can be seen and managed in this browser.
Being able to handle the documents of our Office, such as a spreadsheet or a text, from Chrome is something that can be very useful and extremely comfortable, in addition to the fact that with the system that we are going to show you, everything works really very well.
Microsoft Office on Chrome
To achieve our goal of having all Chrome documents in Google’s browser, we must install a free Office extension itself. Is extension will achieve that we have access to all the applications of the Microsoft suite and all the documents that we have created, either on the computer or if we have saved it in the OneDrive cloud, we will be able to work with them from the browser and we will even obtain a list of the most recent ones we have been working on.
To install and put this Office extension into operation we must carry out the following steps, which as you are going to see are very simple and easy.
- Let’s go to the Office extension web for Chrome and click on Add to Chrome.
- Once we have installed it in the browser we will see that an icon appears in the upper right part of the screen with the Office symbol.
- If by chance it is not seenBecause you have many extensions installed, you must click on the black symbol that appears next to your profile photo (top left), so that in this way we can see all the extensions we have. It must be marked with the pushpin symbol in blue, if not, click on it and we will see it in said menu.
- Now that we have the visible extent, it is time to click on the icon to make it look like a window where we should start our microsoft account (either professional or educational), which must be the same one we use for Office.
- From this moment on we will be able to use the Office applications in the Chrome browser.
How does the Office Chrome extension work?
Once we have logged in we will see how the Office symbol now has the normal color that we see in the Windows program itself. If we want to open a document from any application of the Microsoft office suite in the browser, we just have to do the following:
- Click on the office icon from the Chrome extensions menu, which is located, as we have already seen at the top right.
- Now we select Load and Open to choose the Office document that we want to open, whether we have it in our OneDrive account or if it is on our computer’s hard drive. At that moment the Windows file explorer will open and we will be able to search for the document we want.
- Once we have selected the file, will open in chrome the version that they have prepared for the browser from Microsoft Office, where we will be able to perform the vast majority of the functions that we have in the original Office.
We have another option to work with the different programs that include Office. We only have to click on one of the icons that appear when we open the extension, showing us all the Office applications we have such as: Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, OneDrive, Excel, or OneNote.
If we click on any of these icons, the program we have chosen will automatically open and we can work the same way we do in the original, being able to open a document or make one from scratch.
This extension is free and works very well to view any Office file wherever it comes from, but it is also true that we must have the official program and as you know it is paid.
Other free extensions
Docs Online Viewer
We have another option to view Microsoft Office documents in our Chrome browser, but oriented towards our own navigation. It is another extension called Docs Online Viewer.
With this extension installed in the browser, every time we find a link to a Microsoft Office document, we will see how a small blue icon next to the link. An icon that will appear even on the results page of our Google searches.
If we click on that icon, we will see how the Office document opens automatically in the browser. We can see documents in format DOC, DOCX, PPT, PPTX, XLS and XLS, also offering the possibility of viewing files CSV, PDF and RTF, among others.
With this extension we are only going to be able to read the documents, so it is much less effective and functional than the previous one, but it does have the particularity of absorbing any of the formats directly from the navigation that we can do every day with Chrome.
We can also use Office Edition to view and edit files of Word, Excel and PowerPoint. So we can manage spreadsheets, presentations and text documents from the browser itself. And all this is achieved without the need to have Microsoft office installed on the computer.
The formats with which it is compatible are DOC, DOCX, XLS, XLSX, PPT and PPTX. We can interact with these documents and then save them in any of these same formats, since they are those of Office.
It is a free way of ensuring that we can not only open the Office documents we want in the browser, but also that we can modify them, although we cannot expect it to have as many possibilities as we do in the official extension. Even so it is quite well accomplished.
How you have been able to see, open and interact with the different types of files that we can use in Office in our Google Chrome browser, can be achieved in different ways.
The post So we can see Microsoft Office documents in Google Chrome appeared first on ADSLZone.