Problem: How to fix Windows Update Error Code 0x8024402c?
Hello. I always try to keep my Windows up to date and usually have no problems. However, I have tried to install recent updates and I cannot because I get the error 0x8024402c. I’m not sure how to fix it, could you help me? Thanks.
Windows Updates are an essential part of computer security and should never be delayed. System updates patch critical vulnerabilities that can be abused by cyber criminals to infect computers with malware, as well as increase the stability of the operation. So when errors like 0x8024402c prevent users from installing updates, the problem should be fixed immediately.
Error code 0x8024402c is one of multiple Windows Update errors (such as 0x80242006, 0x80070013, and many others) and is typically encountered by users when Windows cannot check for new updates. In most cases, users fail to update their operating systems due to internet connection problems, as well as the need to have a stable internet so that Windows Update Server can connect to the device.
Error 0x8024402c can also occur due to various other reasons, such as:
- proxy server problems,
- incorrect Firewall settings,
- junk files,
- the computer is connected to the local network (LAN),
- incorrect time settings.
In most cases, error 0x8024402c is found on Windows 7, 8, and Vista devices, although some Windows 10 users have been affected as well. Fortunately, there are several steps you can take in order to fix error 0x8024402c on your computer.
How to fix error 0x8024402c in Windows
There are several ways to fix error 0x8024402c, as the reason behind this problem may differ. A solution that would fix the problem for someone may not work for someone else. Therefore, we suggest that you first try to perform regular checks, such as computer checks, before trying the 0x8024402c solution methods that we provide below. Some changes to the settings that we listed may seem difficult, but you should rely on several solutions to be sure.
First of all, you should make sure that your computer’s time is synchronized with the Internet clock. If this is not a problem, you can quickly fix the 0x8024402c error by modifying your time settings. Additionally, you should check the device with a security program or a PC repair application such as ReimageMac Washing Machine X9, in order to ensure that it is not a malware that may be blocking Windows updates. The program is also designed to keep the operating system running smoothly, it can repair system files, registry and other parts, so the problem can be solved quite easily.
Troubleshoot proxy issues
First, you have to remove the invalid characters in the proxy exception list:
- In the search for Cortana, type Internet Options and click on the search result
- Go to the tab Connections and select LAN configuration.
- Check your box next to «Use proxy server for your LAN »
- Open the Advanced tab
- Delete anything in the field «Do not use a proxy server for addresses beginning with«
- Click on To accept.
Then you have to clear the proxy cache by following these steps:
- Open command prompt: type cmd in Windows search and select the result.
- When you’re at the command prompt, enter the following commands and hit Enter after pressing each one of them:
netsh winhttp reset proxy
net stop wuauserv
net start wuauserv
Once done, the error code 0x8024402c should be fixed. If not, try the second method.
Modify DNS servers to fix error 0x8024402c
- Open the run box by holding down the keys Win + R.
- Tap on To accept.
- Once you are in the window of Internet connection, double click on the active network adapter and choose Properties.
- Then double click on Internet Protocol Version 4.
- Locate the DNS address of the server and configure:
The preferred DNS server should be 184.108.40.206
The alternate DNS server should be 220.127.116.11
- Try to install the updates now.
Temporarily disable Windows Defender Firewall
Incorrect Firewall settings can cause the error. Therefore, turning off the Firewall can help to solve the problem.
- Write Firewall.cpl in the search bar and press Enter;
- Select the option «Turn Windows Firewall On or Off«;
- Under Private Network Configuration choose «Turn off the Windows firewall«. Repeat this step again to Public Network Settings.
- Click on To accept.
Now you should check for Windows updates. Hopefully, the problem will be solved. If not, go for the third method.
Delete junk files to fix error 0x8024402c
Junk files may be the reason why Windows cannot check for or install new updates. Therefore, clean them and try to install the updates.
- Write cmd in search and select Execute as an administrator from the results
- Press Enter
- Write cleanmgr and press Enter
- Wait until the tool checks the system. Once the results are returned, click To accept to remove junk files.
Enable Automatic Detection Settings
Enabling automatic detection can help fix Windows Update error 0x8024402c. The problem may be that your computer does not know how to connect to the Internet:
- Write Internet Options in the search box and click on the result.
- Go to the tab Connections and select LAN settings
- In the Local Area Network (LAN) settings check the box «Automatically detect settings«
- Click on To accept
Make use of the Windows Update Troubleshooter
The troubleshooter is a built-in tool that may be able to help you detect errors automatically:
- Right click on the button Start and select Setting
- Click on Windows update and choose Run the troubleshooter
Configure the Update Client to fix error 0x8024402c
If none of the previous methods have helped you to solve the error, you should try the following steps (keep in mind that manipulating the Windows Registry can damage your system and we are not responsible for the potential damage it may cause):
- Open Registry Editor by typing regedit in the Run dialog box (type Run in the Windows search bar and select the result from the list);
- Click on To accept and then in Yes if the user account control appears;
- When you are in the Registry, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE> SOFTWARE> Policies> Microsoft> Windows> WindowsUpdate> AU;
- Double click on UseWUServe, which is to the right of AU key. In the box Value data insert a 0 and click on To accept;
Close Registry Editor and try to install the updates.
Fix your Errors automatically
The pcseguro.es team is trying to do everything possible to help users find the best solutions to eliminate their errors. If you don’t want to bother with manual repair techniques, please use the automatic programs. All recommended products have been tested and approved by our professionals. The tools you can use to fix your error are listed below.
A VPN is crucial when it comes to user privacy. Online registrars as cookies are not only used by social media platforms and other websites, but also by your Internet Service Provider and the government. Even if you apply the most secure settings through your browser, you can be tracked through applications that are connected to the Internet. Also, privacy-focused browsers like Tor are not the optimal choice due to decreased connection speed. The best solution to protect your privacy is Private Internet Access – stay anonymous and safe online.
Data recovery programs are one of the best options that can help you recover your files. Once you delete a file, it doesn’t vanish into thin air – it stays on the system as long as there’s no new data to overwrite it. Data Recovery Pro is a recovery program that searches for copies of deleted files on your hard drive. By using this tool, you can prevent the loss of valuable documents, school assignments, personal pictures, and other crucial files.