Google is proposing changes in Spain for the Play Store, some changes that, among other things, would begin to accept gambling and betting applications in our country. This is a measure that was already available in a few countries and that from March 1 will begin to be allowed in our country.
Google Play opens the door to bookmakers in Spain
The gambling business has been in the eye of controversy for years. It is a business that does not stop growing in popularity and figures (a direct consequence of there being more players and in turn spending more) and that in turn is in the spotlight due to the problems it generates in those people who end up being addicted to gambling or the risk of advertising in the younger audience.
Until now, gambling applications were allowed on Google Play only in France, United Kingdom, Ireland and Brazil, but this is going to change soon, and that is that from March 1, Google will begin to allow gambling and betting applications in 15 new countries, including Spain.
Having said that, these applications will not have absolute freedom as any developer’s application could have, but they will have to adhere to a series of very specific conditions, having to go through an authorization from Google and with the consequent elimination in the case of violation of any of these policies.
- Developers must complete an authorization process to distribute the app on the Play Store.
- The application must comply with all applicable laws and industry standards for each country in which they are distributed.
- The developer must have a valid license for each country in which the application is distributed.
- The application must prevent the use of minors in the application.
- The application should prevent its use in countries that are not covered by your gaming license.
- The applicationshould not be purchased as a paid app on Google Play, nor use the Google Play payment system.
- The application must be free to download and install in the Play Store.
- The application must be categorized as “Adults Only”.
- The application must clearly list information about responsible gaming.
Among all the requirements, the one that attracts the most attention is 6. The Google Play payment system is the tool that applications have to earn money through in-application purchases, purchases of which Google takes 30 %. By preventing these applications from using the payment system, we see that Google will allow these applications, but that it does not intend to make money with them.
Apple’s app store already allowed them
When thinking about this policy change, it is inevitable to think of Apple. Is the App Store allowing gambling and betting apps?According to their style guides, yes, although as the apple company recognizes, it is a very restricted type of application and that, not only does they review manually, but also warn developers that the evaluation periods of this type of applications will be much longer than usual . Here’s what Apple says about those apps:
5.3: Games, bets and lotteries:
Gambling, gambling, and lotteries are often difficult to handle and tend to be one of the most regulated offers on the App Store. Only include this functionality if you fully comply with your legal obligations wherever your application is available and are prepared for extra time during the review process. Take into account the following sections:
- 5.3.1: Giveaways and contests must be sponsored by the app developer.
- 5.3.2: The official rules for sweepstakes, contests and raffles must be presented in the app and make it clear that Apple is not a sponsor or is involved in the activity in any way.
- 5.3.3: Applications must not use in-app purchases to buy credit or currency that is used in conjunction with real money in any way and must not allow people to purchase lottery tickets or raffle tickets or make in-app fund transfers.
- 5.3.4: Applications that offer real money gambling (for example: sports betting, poker, casino games or horse racing) or lotteries must have licenses and permits where the application is available, must be geologically restricted and must be free in the App Store . Illegal gambling aids are not allowed on the App Store. Lottery applications must consider winning odds and prizes.
Our biggest concern with Google Play is thatwe do not finish trusting. Apple has always had the reputation of being very restrictive with the applications it accepts and rejects in its store, and for this specific situation it is something that gives us some peace of mind. In that sense, Google still has a lot of work to do.
The Google Play entry will be worse in Spain: betting applications will be allowed appears first in El Androide Libre.